To keep SVOS participation fees as low as possible and make this event a success, we rely on artist volunteers. We ask every participating artist to volunteer at least six hours to help make the event the best that it can be. Review the list below and let us know how you can help. This is an excellent way to meet other artists and volunteering with SVOS looks great on your resume.
To volunteer send an e-mail to email@example.com
Try your hand at writing short stories about art and artists that are targeted to the art buying public such as “Understanding Different Art Styles”, or “How to Identify Quality Artwork” and other similar topics. These will appear on our web site, in our Facebook posts, in our newsletter to art lovers and maybe even in one of the local newspapers. This will include interviewing (via phone, e-mail, or in person) various artists and writing the “Profile of an Artist” monthly during the year. (More frequently during March and April). Other tasks may include writing ad copy and other content for promotional material. There is a lot of activity in this area so we’re looking for more than one volunteer.
Advertising Placement Coordinator
Working with our list of newspaper contacts, the Advertising coordinator will contact each of the publications chosen for display advertising to coordinate the placement of this year’s SVOS display ads. This position will require coordinating with the SVOS Marketing Manager and one or more of the volunteer graphic designers to ensure that the final, approved copy is delivered to the publication on time for publication and in the required format. Also, this requires coordination with the Executive Directory to insure that payment is made to the publications in advance of each insertion.
Advertising Graphic Designer
Be a part of the SVOS Marketing Team using your graphic design skills to produce print display ads for various local newspapers in the SVOS area. Working with the Marketing Manager, the advertising graphic designers will design the layout of each of the display ads for various newspapers in the SVOS region. Content for the ad will be developed in collaboration with the Marketing Manager.
- Work with the marketing manager and advertising buyer to create and design appropriate-sized advertising copy and graphics
- Help develop a compelling graphic and written message that informs the public about the benefits of visiting artists during Silicon Valley Open Studios
- Prepare each display ad to the dimensions and specifications of the intended publication
- Work with Adobe Creative Suite (or equivalent) to facilitate ease of use and provide materials for archives
Working with the Exhibit Manager (and sometimes, the exhibit Juror) coordinate one of the exhibits throughout the year. Many of the exhibits are in the winter or early spring but others are done throughout the year.
- Working with the Exhibit Manager, compose and e-mail the “Call to Artists” for the exhibit
- Participate in the selection team to select the pieces for the exhibit. Communicate to each artist which entries were accepted or rejected
- Create an inventory list of all pieces in each exhibit along with artists’ contact information. Learn to use Excel or similar program
- Create and print information tags for each piece of art in the exhibit
- Send reminders about drop-off and installation instructions.
- Check in artists at the exhibit venue
- Send reminders about removal instructions and check-out artists as they remove their artwork
Social Media Team
Support SVOS in marketing their events throughout the year, with strategy and execution of relevant social media placements.
- Edit and post social media content created by various SVOS teams and the Board of Directors on demand.
- Keep existing Facebook and Twitter accounts populated with information about SVOS, our events and our artists.
- Generally a couple of hours per week with heavier demand during March, April, and May.
Marketing Research Assistant
Help the Marketing and Executive team understand the cost structure of other art related events in the area to ensure that SVOS fees are competitive to other venues.
- Contact and interview various sources that we provide to learn about other art related venues
- Work with the Executive Director and Marketing Team to determine the type of information desired. Develop a questionnaire that will provide the framework for each interview
- Contact other sources that you may know to obtain similar information
- Maintain orderly records and present the information is a clear and succinct format to aid in effective decision making about future benefits and fees